Sunday, July 26, 2009
Summer
Summer is my favorite time of year, despite the heat in Florida. Our schedules relax and it seems as if I finally have time to enjoy life. Real life. Not a virtual life of never-ending e-mails, texts and facebook posts. We can travel as a family and actually eat dinner together. Our pool finally gets used and it's easier to get 8 hours of sleep. The beach beckons us and watching our favorite movies is a must. Wade even joins us during the occasional board game! Wow. Even though it is air-conditioned, I try to avoid the mall and just enjoy what I have here and now. We've had a full blown summer thus far with our trip to Utah for the kids' Especially for Youth camp. I got to spend a week with my sister Eden and her kids and of course my own Emmaleigh whom I miss every day. Next stop was Canada for a visit with grandparents and cousins and a great big birthday party for grandpa's 80th. We've been promising him that we would make it to his hometown Raymond parade and rodeo for Canada Day, July 1st, for as long as I've been in the family and we finally did it, nearly twenty five years later! Yeah! One more thing checked off my bucket list-- and his too! It was great fun and my two daughters spent some quality time with him learning about their ancestors. More fun in July for the kids with basketball and volleyball camps for Tanner and girls' camp for Chloe. I've been full fledged training for a fall marathon until this past week-end when on my cross train day I had a bad bike blowout and landed in the emergency room with seven stitches in my chin. Ugh! A gimp arm is still tender and I've got huge matching purple bruises on my upper thighs where I landed over the handlebars on the road. There's also a multitude of scrapes and cuts, but thankfully I walked (or rather rode) away to my friend Lezlie's house where she scooped me in her van and carted me off to the hospital. I'm nearly 45 years old and this is my first bike accident. I said I loved the slow down of summer, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I love the slow down that percacet gives me. It has been humbling, but a scripture I read today says it all... "therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. " --2 Corinthians 12:10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nassau
We took a week-end cruise with our friends and had a ball in the Bahamas. Our port of call took us to Atlantis... a humungous resort with water slides, pools, and gorgeous green blue water. We (bought) huge conch shells and explored the straw market. We were only there a day, but we could have stayed a week. The aquarium was terrific with it's petting pool, black lighted jellyfish and the falling spiny lobsters. The boat wasn't bad either. We ate and slept and watched the kids play shuffleboard and ping pong. Note to self: On board entertainment is very subjective. Lucky for us, we entertained ourselves. Our Sunday sacrament meeting will always be remembered.
Cruise to the Bahamas
Wade relaxing with his crackberry. It's been that kind of year.
Our happy place
Wade at Atlantis
Atlantis Aquarium
Mammoth eel
Chloe and Tanner petting all manner of creepy crawlies
Jellyfish under black light
Spiny Lobster
The Big Easy
We took a quick trip to New Orleans, September 11 & 12 to see BYU play Tulane in the Superdome. Friday we arrived for some sightseeing in the French Quarter and some beignets at Cafe du Monde. We attended a fireside by the Cougar football players and got to meet Bronco Mendenhall. Got to see Honey and Papa and Shannon and Meghan. Met our good friends Kitty and Clay at the dome and saw so many others there. Fun football and family week-end!
New Orleans
Tanner, Chloe and Tyler in front of a Mississippi River Boat
The Blues Brothers
Cafe du Monde
Meeting Bronco
The party barge
Cougars vs. Greenwave in the Dome. It was hard to be against Tulane since Wade was a grad student there.
Clay, Kitty, London and Wade
Meg and Me
Turning 45 and 20! Yikes on both accounts
Emmaleigh came home for our birthdays. These are cupcakes from the cupcake shoppe.
Sweet nothings... a verbal birthday card. Saves a tree.
She is not a teenager anymore.
Utah
Tyler, Ryan, Jaime, Chloe, Brittany and Tanner at EFY University of Utah
McKell at the Candy Store
Emmaleigh and Isaac at Thanksgiving Point
Sisters
Emmaleigh and Cade-- her part-time summer job
Canada
With Grandpa at his hometown parade on Canada Day in Raymond, Alberta
All the grandchildren visited the Raymond Museum to learn about their ancestors.
Chloe, Tanner and Emmaleigh in front of the longest train bridge in North America-- Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Afternoon with the cousins and the Hutterites
New York City Sisters' Week-end
Tavern on the Green- Me, Eden, Taryn, Kennon
Lights on Broadway
Tanner was ordained by his father this week as a teacher in the aaronic priesthood. What a blessing in our lives. We are so proud of his worthy decisions and choices.
Finally!
He's done...his name is on the wall!
The grandpas came for Tan's Eagle Scout Court of Honor
Passing the Eagle Board of Review--Tyler , Scoutmaster Bro. M and Tanner
Birthdays
Wade turned 46 and we had a birthday dinner at Maggianos
Two teen birthdays at Islands of Adventure: Tyler, Tanner, Wade, Chloe & Jordyn
Of course we got wet anyway!
Balloon sculptures and dinner at Chevy's
Fourteen!
Grandma Millie's Funeral
Celebrating 97 marvelous years of life
California February 2009
Aunt Val, Mouse, Mama, Daddy & Me
Week-end in Augusta
The Cousins: Meghan, Ryleigh, Chloe, Cassie, Makenna
Cassie's Baptism
John & Cassie Haycock
Prom
Chloe's Junior Prom April 2009
Spain
Sevilla
The Alcazar
Sevilla, Spain
Little white village in Granada, Spain
Gaudi architecture --Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Spain
La Palau- an example of modernisme architecture of Barcelona
Wade in the cloisters of the Barcelona Cathedral
Our lovely tour guide
Plaza Mayor, Madrid
The Madrid Temple-- our session was in Portuguese!
A Day at the Beach
Em's brief visit home to Florida
Gonna miss her. You can't see the tracks of my tears behind these sunglasses!
Eighth Grade Dance
The Gang
The stretch Hummer Limo trumped the dance for the boys
The Favero's Visit
#2 gal pals- Kendall and Chloe. #1 gal pals-- Emmaleigh and Carson
James, Taryn & the girls
We're Off to the Kentucky Derby Party
Our friends the Tancers have an annual KD Party
31 Points!
Point Guard
Esther the Musical
The set
The cast
Bon Voyage! Em leaves for Madrid
Study abroad in Spain
Independence Middle v. Duncan Middle
Tanner's last regular season soccer game of 8th grade
New Years Eve 2009
Emmaleigh and Alex
Pyromaniac
Adrienne and Chloe
Emmaleigh
Barely staying up for the new year



I loved the update. Your page is now a favourite on Dad's computer. I have him set up to be able to read our blogs whenever he likes. He is thrilled to be able to see the pictures. I am hoping to educate Mom a bit more so she can update hers every once in a while. Technology is amazing. :-)
ReplyDelete